What to do with this car...

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by TheRustySuper, Sep 25, 2012.

1. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

You all may have noticed I haven't been on this site very much lately...basically I've been living with my boyfriend in Lexington for school, and I really don't have time to do much detailing anymore. I do our cars and the occasional client's car and that's about it, but I'm still around lurking :)

Anyway, I've got a question for you guys. This question may be better suited on a different board, but I don't feel like joining one. So you guys are stuck with me. haha. My friend drives a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2-door, it's got about 140K on it right now. However, she's interested in getting a new car, for reasons I shall explain shortly. The question though, is how she can get the most out of her current ride when she sells it.

She wants to sell it because she's embarrassed to drive it. Mechanically it's fine, all she's had to do is put in a new alternator and battery a few years ago and she has had regular oil changes done. She had new brakes put in less than a year ago. Cosmetically on the other hand...not so much. There's a decent sized dent behind the driver's door. The sunroof has come off its tracks, and is stuck popped up in the back considerably. She's just duct taped the gap, lol. However, the worst problem resulted from the guy who backed his truck over her hood when she was sitting at a light. Here's a picture.

[​IMG]

The interior is pretty gross, smoker's car and there's several cigarette burns in the seats, spilled soda stains, etc. etc.

I don't know much about buying and selling cars, and here's why I'm asking for help. Should she try to sell her car? Do you think she could even get much money for it? Would it benefit her to have me detail the interior, or not bother wasting the time? Donate it for a tax write-off? She got $2400 in insurance money for the accident but she's using that money to help fund a new car. I'm kinda iffy on trading it in, I don't think she would get much for it. I've toyed with the idea of maybe getting a couple replacement panels for the hood and fender off a donor car...even if they don't match maybe that would be better than the damage?

I'm open to all suggestions! :)

Thanks,

Clark

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Given the cars current condition, you're gonna have a tough time giving it away. Look online and see what cars like hers are selling for. That will give you some idea as to whether or not its worth spending any money on the car or donate it for the tax write off. If you decide to sell it, replacing the wrecked panels and tidying up the interior would most definitely help.

3. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

She shouldn't even bother to fix it. She should take the money and apply it to her next vehicle purchase. A salvage yard will give here some money for this car (not much, but better than nothing) or she can sell it outright and apply these additional funds to her next vehicle.

4. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

True story. Best bet might be donating it and getting a tax credit (some tech schools use them for body shop work, mechanic, etc). Perhaps sell it to a scrapyard - you might get a couple hundred for it.

5. TheRustySuper

That's kinda what I was leaning toward. Or just putting it on Craigslist maybe, list it for like $500-$600 and see if there's any takers, if not lower the price. Mechanically it's virtually perfect, made it several very long trips to Florida and back no problems at all.

Does anyone know how much (roughly) she would get as tax credit for it?

6. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

The IRS guidelines (in PDF form by the IRS): A Donor's Guide to Car Donations

7. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

IMO no one will buy that for $500. Might be hard at $200. :sorry:

8. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Ghost ride it off a cliff?

9. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

If it was my car, I would call some of my cousins ... :whistle:

10. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Clark -
    Welcome back ! Hope you are doing good in college !

I went to Kbb.com, used area code 40014 for Crestwood, KY, put in as much as I could from what you told us, and it looks like that car is worth -

Private Party sale - $2,850.00
    Trade In to Dealer - $1,365.00

You might want to go on Kbb.com yourself, plug in all the parameters accurately, and see what you come up with.

Now, this and Nada.com are only Guides and not set in stone as what someone or a Dealer will actually give you for the car. But it can be a guide to help you figure out what to ask if you were to try to sell it yourself.

Good luck with this -
    Dan F

11. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

being in the business I can assure you that no dealer will put an ACV over $500 for that car. It is easiest to just trade it in and be happy you dont have to deal with any title paperwork and other headaches associated with private sale. Don't be insulted when they tell you its a $250 car though....just get them to give you $500, take it, and transfer the plates to the new car and be done (so much easier).

12. sydtoosic

sydtoosic Birth of a Detailer

rip out everything salvageable,,, engine, steering wheel, wheels tires etc. and throw the rest in the garbage. you might get more with the parts than selling the whole car.

13. TheRustySuper

I think we are just gonna just try to trade it in when she gets a new car, and see if they will give her like $500 toward the price of her new car for it. That seems to be the best option available. Thanks :)

14. TheRustySuper

Thought I'd update, not like it is really important or anything. She got a new car, a 2000 (I think?) Honda Civic with only 108,000 miles on it, for $2,000. She's just gonna keep the Sunfire as a spare car but drop the insurance off it, and may give it to a relative at some point.