my own pad washer (home made)

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Misha, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

Thanks to whoever posted thread about making your own pad washer. decided to make one becouse of amount of pads i have to clean now
    here are pics
    cost: <$20

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

comments and ideas welcome.
    still need to finish the lid

2. 02blackout

02blackout DB Forum Supporter

Oh how I love the people at DB.

3. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

WOW!!! Please post pics of before/after washing the pads!!! This is awesome!!! I wonder where we can get that small concaved grit guard piece that the pad washer has. If you had that then you'll be set!

4. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

^^yeah looked at autogeek and seen that red piece. i wonder if you can get it from grit guard company or something

or ill think of something else to use for that

5. ndrom

ndrom Two Bucket System Washer

RS1TC did something similar. Are those toggle bolts?

6. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

^^ not sure what bots called

7. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

That is great!

8. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

the bucket that autogeek sells for cleaning pads is extremely expensive...Good Idea, Misha, let us know how it will work.

9. dino

dino Virgin Detailer

i <3 the DIY!!!

10. bjungx007

bjungx007 Birth of a Detailer

Blue carpet!!!

11. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

is it designed to allow the pad to force the blue GG to spin on the ball? have you tried marking the GG and the bucket to see if it is moving as it looks like the GG is just sitting on the ball, under the bolts

yes they look like toggle bolts.

Toggle bolts are the Cadillac (or Lexus, if you prefer) of hollow-wall anchors. They consist of two parts... the toggle itself (which looks like a pair of spring-loaded metal wings) and the accompanying machine screw. Toggle bolts are sized in two ways... by the diameter of the machine screw and by the length of the machine screw. The larger the screw diameter, the larger and stronger the toggle. The longer the screw, the thicker the material that can be hung or the thicker the wall it can be used in!

[​IMG]

12. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

The GG isn't supposed to spin at all. The ball seems to serve as something you can apply pressure to like the GG washer to bounce solution/water into the pad. it's an interesting concept anyway.

13. Bunky

Bunky Guest

The pad washer is from grit guard so Autogeek is just selling what grit guard makes.

Interesting. The key is getting the grit guard to the right level. I have seen the actual washer and they have a floating dome piece that fits in the center that contacts the pad. I think with a little trial and error you can get close.

14. lgixxer

lgixxer Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I am loving this. Next on my list is Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer which I think is a bit to much - I just may have to make one of this - unless ur invention triggers a price drop...:)

15. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

sweet deal . . . . . can you break down how you went about making that thing?

What are those bolts for on the side?

16. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

lol x2

17. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

i have grit guard set up so its covered with about 3/4" of water so its enough for most pads, its set up to do up to 5.5" pads (if i cut bolts down im sure 6.6 will be fine too but we dont use those (only used green couple times and its easy just to clean one pad

i found ball(doesnt realy matter what kind as long as it floats, its more for filling space in bucket and provide spring action which is not really needed per say. grit guard is pretty stationary there so its possible to just put bolts in there and have grit guard suspended in water without ball (hmm, maybe ill do that).
    then i cut hole in lid for PC to fit in and then cut lid in half so i can open and close it, it still needs work to finish but ill get to it, ill post write up how to make it once im done

you apply as much pressure as you want, i used it to clean pad and works great.

18. Bentley

Bentley Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Fantastic idea and DIY thread Misha! Thanks! This'll be my next project, haha.

19. isla

isla Virgin Detailer

hi ,
    as you probably know , i 'm french & read DB ...
    i'm also registred in a french détail forum : cosmétique-auto.com
    tell me / erase the post ; in is not allowed to do this..
    and a member make a nice hand made pad washer too .
    the pict talk by themself

Cosmétique-Auto &bull; Connexion

isla
    hope this help.

20. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

its asking me to register, would be nice to see how other ppl did it