Detailing Help

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Ralph 52, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Ralph 52

Ralph 52 Virgin Detailer

I recently purchased a 2013 Lexus GS. As I drove home is started to rain a little so when I got home, I lighly dried off the car so it could look nice and clean in the garage when the rest of the family could see it. I drove the car for a few days in the rainy weather and after I washed the car, I noticed there was a drag on the mircofiber towels I was using as if the car was still a little dirty. I decided to clay, polish, and put 2 coats of Chemical Guys Jet Seal and topped it off with Soverian Paste wax. At completion it was silky smooth.
    It rained at the end of the following week and after a good wash, and dry, I noticed a slight pull again when drying. After I dried and finished it off with some detail spray I could tell is still had a very nice shine but as I went over the metal with a dry cloth, it didn't seem as smooth.

My questions are:

1. Is the Lexus clearcoat attracting some of the junk on the wet roads that doesn't come off with regular cash wash soap? I use the same stuff on both of my other cars and my older Lexus and this problem does not exist)
    2. Is there anything I could do to prevent this from happening. (other than not driving in the rain).

Thanks for your help.

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

1) what kind of MF towels are you using?
    2) did you pre wash the towels?

I ask because I have had this happen with "brand new" towels.

3. Ralph 52

Ralph 52 Virgin Detailer

I have both cotton towels and mcirofiber towels. None of them brand new. I use the towels on my other cars and no problems.

4. Kilo6_one

some towels are grabby, are you using enough product when you are doing your wipe down?

5. Ralph 52

Ralph 52 Virgin Detailer

Yes, Like I mentioned before, this does not happen when I wash my Corvette, Subaru, or the Lexus I had for 12 years. I use the same products and dry with the same towels. I am wondering if the clearcoat is different and the grime from wet streets adhere it it more, or if there is a coating that comes on the car that I need t take off that my original clay and polish did not take off.

6. Kilo6_one

sounds plausible.......... maybe try a different towel

7. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

What car wash soap are you using? Does the paint bead up in the rain? Towels can 'drag' when the protection is nearly gone. Seems premature, but rain and junk and washes take a toll on wax/sealant.

8. thanes1

thanes1 New Member

yes i would try a different towel is could have something to do with the clear coat that was originally applied to, not a good combination with the microfibre towels you're using.

9. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

Do you have any heavy road construction in your area, any new road surfaces?

I have experienced something similar and it was containments coming off the road and literally coating my whole car. After the construction was finished and the road has been driven on for while the problem stopped.