Suggestions for 2002 Mustang Leather

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by grahamlight, Feb 21, 2014.

1. grahamlight

grahamlight New Member

Hi all, I don't have much experience in restoring older leather/pleather material seats. This 2002 Mustang has the charcoal/black leather and needs to be refreshed. I would like to know your suggestions on restoring and cleaning.

Owner claims he hasn't used anything other than Meguiar's leather wipes, etc... There are definitely some impressions but I don't see too much cracking. Other issue is that is has sat in garage for three years since it was last driven and there are some small areas of mold on the back seat leather and seat belt straps.

2. TurboJoe

TurboJoe DB Forum Supporter

I don't have much experience with Ford leather, but I would recommend looking at the Leather Masters line of products http://www.detailersdomain.com/Leather-Master_c_113.html

They have a few very good cleaners, Vital for conditioning, and Protection Cream to keep it looking nice. Phil also carries there Mold killer, ink remover, etc.

Leatherique is another option.. however, it's rather messy and time consuming.

3. JordanL

JordanL Virgin Detailer

My buddy has an '03 and I did a test spot using some 1z Plastic Deep Cleaner and a soft mf scrub pad and some brushes and it seemed to work very well. I protected it with some Zaino Z10 and it looked great. Just my experience with Mustang leather in that era.

4. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

Leather Masters is great, that being said post up some photos to give us a better idea.

mikek82890 likes this.
  5. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

6. acommonsoul

acommonsoul New Member

What is better to use Leather Masters or Leatherique?

7. mikek82890

mikek82890 New Member

my sister had a 2001 with tan leather some pretty good cracks and wear and tear i wish i had some pics but i dont but what i can do is recommend leather masters 3 step process i picked up phil at DD awesome stuff btw. I used it on brand new leather in my wrx and it makes them so soft.

8. mikek82890

mikek82890 New Member

oh and a uber leather brush lol soft enough to not scratch the leather

9. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

They both have their places.

I feel leatherique is a little more on the "boutique" side, and a little more high-end...but that does not mean better.

Leather Master is a very well established and diverse manufacturer that offers many more products than Leatherique...

Basically, what I am saying is try them both and see which you prefer, and what works best for the situation you are dealing with...neither of them will let you down...

acommonsoul likes this.
  10. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

11. Joseph Rogers

Joseph Rogers New Member

I've used LeatherMaster products on residential leather upholstery with really good results.

12. amz

amz New Member

+1 Sonax Leather Foam, even took care of the few salt stains I didn't notice on the rear passenger seats, leather looks great, smells good, works well, and a supple, matte finish.. I'm going to try Adam's products on my next order to (Adams)...I seem to be doing a lot of comparisons between Sonax and Adams haha.