Rupes LHR15ES Review

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by DaytonaJae, May 5, 2014.

1. DaytonaJae

DaytonaJae Birth of a Detailer

Here is my review of the Rupes LHR15ES

[​IMG]

I'm going to skip the unboxing and observations, as those have been covered plenty of times already. I am a little late to the game, having only purchased my first Rupes a month ago. I came from a Porter Cable 7424XP, Griot's 6 and a Flex 3401 so my thoughts will be in comparison to my experiences to those listed.

I finally got a chance to use the Rupes on a car that actually needed some correction, so here are my thoughts:

1. The machine is very ergonomic and is comfortable to hold. It feels lighter than the Flex 3401, but I can't be 100% sure since I don't have my Flex anymore. When it comes to vibrations while in operation, the polisher has much less than the others I have used. Anyone who has used a Griot's or PorterCable can tell you that after a few minutes, the numbness can be very painful. The Rupes was in use all afternoon without a single hint of nubmness in my hand or arms.

2. The machine is either quieter than the other polishers I have used (at maximum setting) or the pitch which the buffer eminates is lower. Either way, it is much more pleasant and feels like it's quieter. The Flex had a high pitched whine to it that really got tiresome after a while if I wasn't wearing any earbuds or ear protection. The Griot's 6 has a higher pitched whine as well.

3. There is a learning curve. Rupes owners already know this, but for those of you who are on the fence, here's what I mean: The machine will practically stop spinning if the pad is not 99% flat on the surface of the paint you are polishing, regardless of the speed setting. I found that this was due to either the anti-spin shroud that is incorporated into the piece above the backing plate or some combination of other elements. Regardless, I found it difficult to use on anything other than a flat surface.

For example, if you were to turn the polisher vertical (as if you were about to polish a door, but not in contact with anything yet (free spinning in the air), the anti spin shroud will severely limit the rotational speed of the pad. Once I touch the pad to a vertical surface, I found that the pad will basically stop. Keep in mind that this is most likely the reason why Rupes owners elect to perform the "washer mod", and that mine is completely stock at the time of the review and is unmodified.

The same will apply if you tilt the machine while polishing - the result is a severe rotational speed decrease (See the first photo above) The slight tilt in the photo was enough to decrease rotation by about 80 percent, by my visual judgement. It takes constant adjusting and fine tuning of your hand positioning in order to keep the pad spinning at a reasonable speed when using the LHR15ES. I am sure I will eventually get the hang of it, but my first attempt with this polisher was a little frustrating.

4. Power - Of course, it doesn't have the same power as a Flex 3401, due to the fact that the Flex has forced rotation, but I found that the Griot's 6 actually had more rotational ability than the LHR15ES, without the washer mod, of course. Again, this is why owners recommend isntalling the mod so much.

5. Correction - With its 15mm throw, it moves the pad a lot more than the other polishers do when it comes to parallel movement of the pad across the surface. You can see how massive the throw is in the photo below, about twice that of the Flex and GG6.

[​IMG]

When approaching a curve or edge, it is important to keep the crescent of the curve on the middle of the pad as much as possible, in order to keep the rotational speed from decreasing.

[​IMG]

Doing a standard cross-hatch pattern, we started up the LHR15ES with a Rupes Yellow polishing pad at first and paired it with Menzerna FG400. We then moved up to a Rupes Green pad for the result we wanted. On a dark grey metallic paint, this combination was able to finish down to LSP ready condition.

[​IMG]

The Rupes Green pad feels rougher than an Uber Yellow or Orange to the touch, but that's most likely due to the differences in the foam. I don't know, it felt harder and more "porous" if that means anything.

Build Quality: Overall the machine is well built and feels solid, with the exception of the front "nose" piece. Mine seems to be a little loose and you can feel that it moves ever so slightly when your hand is placed on top. Compared to the Flex 3401, however, I don't think it is in the same ballpark in terms of build quality. The Flex is a tank. It's loud, heavy and brash, but it can stand up to the rigors of a detail shop day in and day out. With the Rupes, to be 100% honest, it just doesn't feel as well made.

The plastic feels thin, the machine, in certain spots, feels hollow and it gives the feeling that it would break into 3 pieces if you dropped it onto a concrete floor from waist-height. People have also complained about the cord quality on the Rupes, but I haven't had any issues with this yet.

All this, of course, is only a concern if you plan on using it in a high volume detail shop. For hobbyists and enthusiasts, I am sure the Rupes will give you years and years of trouble free operation.

Pros:

Smooth
    Quiet
    Comfortable - polish all day long with no pain.
    Great correction on flat surfaces

Cons:

Bogs down at the slightest hint of a curve or tilt.
    Construction feels a little flimsy.

Conclusion:

I have mixed feelings about this polisher. I love how comfortable it is to use, but get so aggravated when it stops spinning on uneven surfaces, even with no pressure on the machine most of the time. I am going to perform the washer mod and see how much of a difference that makes. I know that the point of the long throw is to reduce the downward pressure needed, but it's difficult to *not* put pressure on certain parts of the car. In this respect, I look forward to the washer mod and doing a comparison between modded and unmodded.

punk0208 likes this.
  2. black-n-silver

black-n-silver Any Rag Vehicle Washer

As the 'hand model' in these shots I was surprised that the pads were not flat. I would have said they were if I was asked. My technique did improve as I continued to work with this very, very smooth tool. Polishing the roof was great for observing how flat the pads were.

In an email exchange with Jae I wondered if others, without knowing it, are having same issue with thinking the pads are flat when they are not, Is this the reason the 'washer mod' is needed? Thoughts?

3. The Driver

The Driver Birth of a Detailer

I have the 15, 21 and the 75... I still use the 3401 on corners.

What I love about each machine.
    21, massive correction ability and great for flat panels, major time killer.
    15, smooth, great for subtle curves such as slight door curves.
    75, great for tight spots, ie in an around fender slots.
    3401, amazing for those big curved panels, Porsche rears a challenge? nope!

The washer mod is mean't to give a higher top end per say. It enhances the corrective ability, if the pad is bogged down it will make no difference. The washer is not mean't to help prevent bogging if thats what your asking.

4. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

You know, the older I get the more I believe in the Bermuda Triangle - I give my $$ to the wife and kids and just dissappears! So, spending a minimum of $369 plus shipping and yeah, you gotta get a spare backing plate and well you see where I'm going... Stories like these and there's a guy on another forum trying to trade his Rupes 15, well, it makes me glad I'm still warming the fence. I have an old PC and a PCXP, and a DeWalt for the occasional boat detail. I had bought the Flex - hated that high pitched whine and wrong way rotation - really WTH is up with that? Traded said Flex for a Cyclo, and while it was a good polisher, I just didn't love it and it sat in the closet for a few years till i sold it. Another thing about getting older is that pain in your fingers and wrists after running a PCXP for a couple hours. I have tried a Rupes 21 for a few minutes at a local store, it was smooth, but, like the OP said, it didn't feel like the quality was there, certainly not like my old DeWalt - that damn thing is Junebug proof!
    The BIG question(s) - spend a wad on a Rupes? which one? or just get GG and get through faster with a more powerful "PC" for a lot less $$
    I've been detailing on weekends for about 9 years now and you may say, why not just use the rotary? it's fast, smooth, and ...and, I would spend a lot more time taping up eveything I didn't want polish to sling in or paint on trim to roll off, plus, it's not impossible to finish halogram free, but, it (for me) turns a long 1 step into a much longer, tape - cut - polish- un tape session.

5. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

I have both the Rupes 15 and the Flex. I do not use them enough. I still find the Flex the consistent machines - just hold it against the paint and it will work. It has a short learning curve. Pressure is not as important since no worries about pad rotation.

The Rupes 15 has some of the traits of non-forced I had with earlier polshers (now extinct UDM). You have to have a good touch (balance between pressure, angle to keep rotation, etc). The Rupes did not like LC Crimson pads and pads tended to get hot and accelerate polish drying. The Rupes pads may help with that.

I had a thought about trading it for the Duetto since I wanted something easier for LSP/one stepper since the flex forced rotation is more noticeable (works against faster arm speeds). The Rupes does have a different tone. It seems higher pitched to me that the growl of the Flex caused by the gears.

6. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

Al, do you have the washer mod on the Rupes?

7. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

Yes but I removed it the last use to see if the pad was spinning too much,

8. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

Al, you need to ride over some Saturday, I bet I have some polishes and waxes you need - exchange for a little Rupes time...