Rupes LHR21ES - Sparks?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by StreetShotz, Jun 4, 2014.

1. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

Just got my new Rupes 21 in from Detailers Domain along with a bunch of other goodies and I must say I am pleased. Its a great upgrade from what I am used to using for paint correction.

However I noticed that when I was working with he 21 last night that I could see sparking inside of the body of the polisher. If I was looking down from the top through the vents in the top of the body I can see sparks some times.
    Wondering if this is normal or if anyone else has seen such a thing.

The machine works great, nothing abnormal there, paint corrected quickly as advertised.

SS

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Send Phil and email he will help you out. I have mine on its way so I'm not sure.

3. ModdedMach

ModdedMach Birth of a Detailer

Ive never pulled apart a rupes before, but if the electric motor inside uses brushes, its probably normal. Electric drills do the same thing.

StreetShotz and rwisejr like this.
  4. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

I assumed this was the case, I just wanted to make sure as this is my first time owning a Rupes polisher and I didn't want to damage it.
    And, yes, it does have brushes in there. I confirmed with a little pen light peaking through the vent holes.

5. ModdedMach

Its got a warranty, no worries lol.

Dont they come with an extra set of brushes?

6. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

I didn't see any in the box but I will take another look.

Working just fine, two cars down and no issues.

7. ModdedMach

Yea, i checked last night and my Pe14 rotary has small sparks too, any brushed electric motor usually does it. Im sure its normal.

8. Worthrj

Worthrj New Member

Sparking is normal, it is a brushed motor. When you turn it on any drill, saw, grinder, polisher, whatever will spark. If there's no spark, then tool won't even work.

Edit: I slept on this for a night and thought I should update. As brushes wear and become worn out, that's when you'll get the "arching, sparking, lightning" in a tool effect. If that's the case, then replace the brushes and hopefully the motor isn't bad, but probably needs to be cleaned.

9. Dylan@RUPES

Dylan@RUPES Master Detailer

Blow out the housing for sure, but some visible arcing inside the tool around the motor is perfectly normal. It happens with virtually any electric tool that uses a similar brush motor.

10. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

Can see a spark every so often on mine and seems fine.