1987 GNX, Paint Correction and Americoat Application

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by RaskyR1, Jul 25, 2014.

1. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

I love these cars! :)
    Having owned a G Body car myself, I was very excited to work on this one. The paint condition was about average for a black car of this age, but a few panels had been resprayed at different times over the years, and a few of them presented me with one of the most challenging paints I’ve ever had to finish down on. After pulling my hair out trying many, many different combinations of pads, polishes, tools, and techniques, I found a process that worked on those few finicky panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50, final polish still needed to be done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some little piggies in a few areas that I wet sanded with 3000.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TA50 doing work on all the tight areas
    [​IMG]

All done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,

Rasky

Stokdgs and Meticulous-Detail like this.
  2. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Absolutely gorgeous! Great job!. Which combo worked out well for you? Love the GNX, very rare and very fast. They bring big $$$ at auction.

3. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Thank you!

On the majority of the car just about every combo worked well, but the two doors and one quarter panel were a royal PITA. Surprisingly HD Adapt on a firm polishing pad produced flawless results, but it was still touchy and I had to be consistent with my technique. There was 4 different paints on this car, some SS and some BC/CC. She is a drivers car with 40k on the clock, but IMO that's how it should be. ;)

4. Buff and Beyond

Buff and Beyond DB Pro Supporter

Looks great!, May I ask what was used on the painted areas on front and rear bumpers? Customer of mine has a low mile GNX and bumpers always come back with slight film like haze which will come off very easilly, but seems to return a couple months down the road.

thanks,
    Nick

5. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

Great job......but where are the underhood pics!!!

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Yowzers! Beautiful!