Need advice for wet sanding touch up paint pen

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Kev808, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Kev808

Kev808 New Member

Hi guys, I need some advice on which grit sanding paper i should get and the proper procedure to tackle this problem. I will be using a touch up paint pen from the dealership which has paint and clear coat. Marks are very noticable.(car is lancer evolution 10 octane blue).
    [​IMG]

2. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

3. inDetail

inDetail New Member

You should ideally use a paint gauge for wet sanding. It does not take much to cut through thin car paint.

I would start at 3000 and go down until you start seeing improvement. then work your way back up to 2500 or 3000.

I would clean out the scratches be for you fill them in.

To prevent the chance of damaging paint tape out a frame using 2-4" masking tape so you are confined to that area.
    Use a foam sanding block as well. It will apply even pressure on the paint while sanding.

Remember you can take paint easily much harder to put it back on. Sand really, really slow.

4. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

From the looks of that picture, this is on a plastic bumper cover. These can be very tricky to make them look good again as scratches like those cause raised sections around the damaged area. When you apply the paint and go to sand those spots down you often hit the high spots around the scratch when trying to level the paint which causes even more work needing to be done.
    I have had some luck with very slow sanding to level them before applying paint, that way you have a flat surface to sand down to when trying to level it out.

5. allenk4

allenk4 New Member

To get a decent repair, you are going to have to level the raised edges of the gouged paint

Damp sanding with1500# with a proper foam backing pad

Damp sanding with 3000# to remove 1500# sanding marks

Compound to remove 3000# sanding marks

Remove any traces of compound from the area to be repaired. Steam works best, but IPA and a MF will also work fine

Allow to dry completely

You need to do all of these steps prior to the application of the touch-up paint, as any of these steps will likely pull the touch-up paint out of the repaired area

Be patient when applying touch-up, some suggest a toothpick, but I have had success with a small hobby brush. The brush that comes with the touch-up paint is too large

It may take 3 thin coats to completely fill these gouges.

Allow 15 minutes between coats.

Fill to just above the edge of the defect.

Allow to dry and harden for a week

Gently damp sand with 1500# to level the touch-up paint

Gently damp sand with 3000#

Compound

Polish

Seal

Most people do not use the clear, but if you want to, use it as the 3rd coat. Some people mix the CC in with the base color

Good Luck

Take lots of pictures