BMW Jet Black Help

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by NickBlaine, Oct 15, 2014.

1. NickBlaine

NickBlaine Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Finally getting around to detailing my own car. Kind of fell off later last year due to two slipped disks in my back.

I've got a '10 BMW 335 with jet black paint. I was involved in an accident (sideswiped on the passenger side - girl didn't look before deciding she wanted my lane). The areas that were repainted (hood/fender/sideskirt/door) all seem to be VERY soft (softer than the factory paint).

My problem is when I am correcting, the towels are creating very light scratches. I have tried every towel I own, and can't seem to be able to not produce the light scratches.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

So after correction it looks fine, but after the final wipe you get light scratches?

3. NickBlaine

Wiping off the polish leaves the tiny scratches. And I know its from the wiping because they are all whichever way I wipe.

4. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

thats some soft paint for sure! possible it could be streaking from IPA?

5. NickBlaine

I have tried it with/without IPA and Top Inspection. Def not streaking.

Since this is my own personal car, if I can't figure anything out, I may just get it as best as I can, then coat it.

6. Meticulous-Detail

What towels are you using? Did you try doing the final wipe with detail spray, waterless wash, or rinseless wash?

7. JordanL

JordanL Virgin Detailer

It could be the towels. I would also try to not touch the paint for a few mins after you have completed your passes because the heat and you wiping a mf towel across the paint could be the lead to your scraches

B.Prug87 likes this.
  8. Meticulous-Detail

That could be it too

9. B.Prug87

B.Prug87 DB Forum Supporter

I ran into this with a black supra.i would polish a panel and keep touching the panel until its cooled off then id wipe the polish off

10. JordanL

JordanL Virgin Detailer

If for some reason you're on a time crunch, to speed up the cooling of the panel, put some ice in a bottle of distilled water and use that on the panel after your passes.

11. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

How long ago was the car re painted?