Polishing Damaged Glass

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by dbs600, Nov 8, 2014.

1. dbs600

dbs600 Virgin Detailer

Hi all,

Hope all is well.

My car was at my dealer for over 100 days for engine replacement and was returned to me with that shown in the first picture attached – some type of waxy film on the windshield that doesn’t come off (it looks like a film, but doesn’t seem to be one, and it’s not waxy to the touch, just looks waxy).

I’ve tried Windex and rubbing alcohol. My dealer tried an industrial grade aircraft glass cleaner. Lemon juice and vinegar have also been tried, all to no avail.

Note the driver’s door glass, also pictured, was returned to me with some type of etching / ghosting. Oddly, the dealer has since paid to have the window polished (after it initially said it would replace the glass), which I’m told has resolved the issue, but I haven’t seen same in person yet. Nevertheless, the dealer doesn’t want to accept responsibility for the windshield.

Anyone know if polishing the windshield would work? Does polishing remove a layer / coating to the glass? If so, does the glass need to be sealed after? And does this make the glass more vulnerable to damage? In all, if polishing may work, can anyone provide a rough estimate as to the cost; retail and wholesale (i.e.: if the dealer were to sublet same)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

(Sorry, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to attached pictures!?)

2. dbs600

dbs600 Virgin Detailer

I've since been able to upload pictures, which are attached.

Please let me know of any thoughts.

Thanks.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:4813]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:4815]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:4814]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:4817]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:4816]