Opinion on Chamois leathers ?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by thedoc46, Feb 24, 2015.

1. thedoc46

thedoc46 New Member

Hi,

What are the pro's opinions on chamois leathers ? Do they add to swirls ? Do you guys use them? I've been using them for 25yrs, and they seem to do a great job in wiping up the water after a wash. I did try a synthetic one, but was left less than impressed.

Though i've only ever been a recreational car washer.. In that i love a clean car, but have never clayed or polished.. Only washed and waxed. but all that is changing..

I've just purchased a clay kit and will be claying, polishing and then waxing my car.. I'm now switching to the two bucket system, and instead of a sponge, i'll be using a micro fiber mitt. (supposedly better right ?)

I'm also looking at my options in a oribital powered device, or even a rotary. I have three cars, and want to get in the habit of polishing and waxing each one once a month.. TBH i find it therapeutic.

2. JordanL

JordanL Virgin Detailer

I personally don't use them to dry cars. I like to use a dedicated Microfiber for drying. Whether it's a waffle weave or like the Uber drying towel that Phil sells. occasionally we miss a small spot when washing and the dirt and grime is still present on the paint even after rinsing. I like the microfiber because the pile will trap the dirt in its fibers instead of having it drag around on the paint like with a chamois.

3. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

I'm not a fan of the chamois either I prefer a good waffle weave or plush drying towel.

If you are starting out I would say pick up a good orbital polisher. Let me know if you have any questions we are here to help.

Meticulous-Detail likes this.