Opti-Coat Swirls

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Newbie55, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Newbie55

Newbie55 New Member

So I have an 8 month old 2015 STi that had a clear bra put on the front, and all other areas were opti-coated. The clear bra looks fantastic, no swirls (special thanks to Phil at Detailer's Domain). However, some of the opti-coated areas are showing swirls. I have been very careful, (2 bucket method, hand wash only) but I guess swirls are par for the course, with a DD that goes through NY winters.

My question now is, what is the best way to minimize the swirls on the opti-coated surfaces, without removing the coating? Also, if I'm seeing swirls, does that mean the opti-coat is gone? My plan was to use Mother's clay, and Griot's best of show wax. However, I am unsure if there are any harsh abrasives that could threaten my opti-coat in the clay or in the Griot's.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. CYANiDE

CYANiDE Virgin Detailer

I would definitely give Phil a ring and see what he thinks you can use on the Opti-Coat. That would be the best course of action.

rwisejr likes this.
  3. sealthedeal

sealthedeal New Member

Answering you from my theoretical knowledge:

Opti coat 2.0 adds about 1-2 microns to the paint after its cured. Depends how deep the swirls are to have crossed that barrier or still at the OC level. Prevention would be pretty much same as its with any other protection i.e. 2BM wash, using QDs/WaterlessWashes for light dust removal etc... Regardless of how careful we are, for daily drivers, swirls will eventually re-appear but with the above techniques and knowledge we can prolong their appearance.

I dont think a mothers clay would remove OC as thats a fine grade clay (i even doubt an aggressive clay would remove it but may mar it), not even a mild chemical cleanser by hand will remove it. Its meant to be a permenant coat after its cured (much like your clear coat) so same rules would apply as with clear coat. Also, any further topping of sealant/wax you add on top of OC wouldn't really last much (the successor Opt Gloss coat is however designed to allow topping of waxes/sealants).

Still, connect with your OC installer and he would give you the best insight and best practices.