OBSSSSD Wheel Cleaner

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by GloomyX, Jun 30, 2016.

1. GloomyX

GloomyX Birth of a Detailer

Finally got around to write a review for a couple OBSSSSD products I got from Auto Obsessed. This review is dedicated for their wheel cleaner.

OBSSSSD Wheel Cleaner

Product Description: (Auto Obsessed)

This product is ECO Friendly, Bio-degradable, and VOC compliant.

[​IMG]

Handling:

Blueberry bubblegum!!! Very close to the smell of Optimum No-Rinse!!
    I have used some fairly aggressive wheel cleaner and they have really strong chemical smell. They extremely well but I can't work with them without covering my nose and mouth.

The handle and the trigger was a pleasure to use. My hands did not cramped up at any point. I can work with OBSSSSD's wheel cleaner all day long!!

[​IMG]

Usage:

"Always start any detailing job with the least aggressive approach" - A common quote from any experienced detailer

This is why I have two types of wheel cleaners. A gentle cleaner for well-maintained, new or coated wheels. Alternatively, a mild and aggressive cleaner for the neglected or heavily dusted track-duty wheels.

The wheel I used to test the cleaner with is an OEM wheel from a RSX Type-S. Unfortunately, the previous owner extremely neglected and curb rashed all the wheels. Also, the wheels are victim of the common corrosion defects with the RSX and 8th generation Civic. So, the wheel barrels were etched with many years of brake dust and environmental elements. To add to the challenge, this RSX Type-S was using mild-dusty Hawks HPS/5.0 brake pads. This should be a good test for this cleaner.

[​IMG]

Let's take a look at the condition of the wheel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tools:

- Daytona Speed Master Brush
    - RaceGlaze XL Detail Brush
    - Chemical Guys Bendy Raccoon Brush
    - Zepp's Orange Cleaner

Direction:

As per Auto Obsessed
    1. Ensure the wheel is cool to the touch. Do not use OBSSSSD™ Wheel Cleaner in direct sunlight.
    2. Spray cool water to rinse loose dirt from the wheel.
    3. Spray OBSSSSD™ Wheel Cleaner onto the entire wheel, including the barrel and the spokes, and allow 2 - 5 minutes for product to react. Do not allow product to dry onto the wheel.
    4. Lightly agitate OBSSSSD™ Wheel Cleaner with soft brushes to help loosen soil and brake dust.
    5. Rinse the wheel with cool water before drying.

Performance:

I always do a clingy-test to see how well the cleaner clings on to the surface.

30-seconds
    [​IMG]

5 minutes
    [​IMG]

Not bad at all!! The consistency of this cleaner isn't very thick but it clinged on to the surface long enough to allow the product to do it's thing!!

However, I did notice this cleaner did not change colour when it came in contact with ferrous particles. Which I am 100% sure these wheels were FILLED with!!!

Some before and after shots
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Costs per Application: I used about 2/5 of the bottle for all four wheels.

Conclusion:

Honestly, I am not sure if I gave this wheel cleaner a fair review. The wheels I used it on were in a really bad condition. It did cleaned up the surface of the wheels very nicely and effortlessly (which is what most people will just care about). It did made a little improvement on the wheel barrel, but as you can see it was hardly noticeable.

Personally, I would skip this product for any wheels that require heavy duty cleaning. If the wheels are well-maintained or coated, this product will satisfy the user!!

Note: Typically, if the cleaner did not remove any ferrous and/or tar particles I would add Iron-X and tar-removal products to the process. But for the sake of this review, I stopped after cleaning the wheels.

To satisfy my curiosity and fairness, I am planning to use this product on a set of relatively new TLX wheels. Please expect an update soon!!

Pros:
    - Great handle and trigger design
    - Blueberry bubblegum!!!
    - Gentle cleaner for easy and effortless maintenance work
    - Decent consistency

Cons:
    - Not strong enough for heavy duty cleaning
    - Does not react to ferrous particles

2. The Guz

The Guz Member

Is it supposed to change color? Did you use a brush to get into the barrels?

3. GloomyX

GloomyX Birth of a Detailer

When I use the Sonax wheel cleaner, the solution change colour. Not all cleaners change colour. I believe it depends on the formula and whether they engineered it to react with ferrous particles.

Yes. As I mentioned, the Daytona brush was used for the barrel cleaning.

The wheels were completely FUBAR'd when I purchased the vehicle.