2015 Corvette black

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by richy, Aug 31, 2016.

1. richy

richy Guest

My neighbour treated himself to this lovely car. It is a 2015 and only has a couple of thousand kilometers on it. Unfortunately, the paint was not reflective of the low mileage (pun intended).

Here it is as it arrived:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to be pulling the wheels and coating the barrels and calipers. The red calipers were just begging for some attention!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He was doing a good job at keeping these clean:

[​IMG]

First up the wheels were cleaned. The barrels were done with Zep Citrus and DG 901 as were the faces. The tires were cleaned with Zep 505 and the wells with LATA. I didn't try to get them perfect as I was going to be pulling them anyway.

Next up was to wash the car with 901 and then a 2nd decontamination wash with IronX paste. It was then clayed using a clay towel. The front section of the hood was showing the worst defects:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a strange mark on the back R 1/4 panel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, lots of marks scattered about, but none (other than the front of the hood) that were too terrible. It was just going to take some time to get it to look great. We agreed to use Optimum Gloss Coat to keep the cost down so he could afford the amount of time the paint would need to be brought back properly. It was a good call.

The first job was the wheels. Each barrel was intensively cleaned with ONR followed by DG Squeaky Clean and then coated with DLux and flash cured with compressed air. The face of the wheel was cleaned in the same 2 step process but was given a double coat of GC. I have a new DG plastic trim product that I'm testing that both dyes and protects. I used it on the plastic wells and the mud guards. Here's a few 50/50 shots of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The calipers were also cleaned with DG Squeaky Clean. Again, an amazing product to use prior to coating. Check out this caliper after ONLY using SC on it:

[​IMG]

Here are some other "in progress" shots of the wheels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The calipers were also double coated with Gloss Coat.

[​IMG]

For the paint, it was corrected using my Flex 3401 + TB black wool + either M100 or SS Chop Top (where needed). That was followed by Essence and the white gloss pad from CarPro. The hood was given an intermediate step of M205 + yellow B/S pad just for perfection's sake. Here's that spot on the hood after correction:

[​IMG]

The entire car was given the 2 step process (except the hood as I mentioned) including the headlights. The exhaust tips were hand polished with M205 and a mf and were double coated with GC as well. The tires were shot via my air gun with Opti Bond prior to the car being lowered. Each wheel was torqued back to spec. The paint and side and rear glass were coated with GC. The windshield was double coated with Fly By 30. The top was treated to DG 341 marine waterproofing.

Here she is all done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. As always, comments are appreciated.

CG6Lemon and The Guz like this.
  2. Sizzle Chest

Sizzle Chest New Member

Nice work Richy! That poor C7 was swirl and defect city! Soooo much better now! Thumbs up!

richy likes this.
  3. denobd

denobd Virgin Detailer

Awesome work, and bad ass car..

4. okay65829

okay65829 Active Member

Exceptional work thanks for sharing!

5. richy

richy Guest

Sorry for not responding earlier gentlemen. Thanks kindly!